Monday 21 February 2011

hong chun zhang

"Born and raised in the People's Republic of China, I grew up in an academic environment. Both my parents are retired art professors and my two sisters are also painters. When I was 15, my twin-sister and I won the National Competition to attend the high school attached to the Central Academy of Fine Arts in Beijing. From there, I began my professional art training.

Over the last twelve years, I have studied under both Chinese and American fine arts educational systems, and I believe I have discovered a balance between the two cultures and artistic styles. In China, I developed a solid foundation in painting, but the content was restricted. In 1996, I came to America to expand my education in fine arts. Graduate school in the US has provided me with the freedom to develop new concepts for my work. This unique experience has been recognized with a Skowhegan Artist Residency Scholarship (2003) and a Dedalus Foundation MFA Fellowship (2004) and Pollock Krasner Foundation grant (2006). I have exhibited my work nationally and internationally since 2000. I am now represented by Gallery Imperato in Baltimore.

I currently reside in Lawrence, Kansas with my husband John and daughter Rose. I plan to embark on a new project that is inspired by my Chinese heritage and my Kansas home." - hongchunzhang.com












image source: booooooom

No comments: